In 1855 Rev. John Bekkers began coming from the Cathedral in Louisville to celebrate Mass periodically for the Catholics in Shelby and Henry Counties. Mass was celebrated in the home of induvial Catholics for serval years. Annunciation Church in Shelbyville was dedicated in 1860. The first resident priest in Shelbyville was Rev. Michael Lawler in 1862.
The Catholics in Henry County were attended by the priests assigned to Shelbyville from 1855 until the present, except for a few years in the 1870s and perhaps later years when the priests from Pewee Valley were in charge of the area. Masses were celebrated in the homes of Catholic families during all this time. perhaps at one time, a room of the homes was designated as a permanent chapel but there is no certain historical record of this nor any church being built in the 1870s or 1880s.
The best historical record is from Rev. John Lyons, who was the historian of the Archdiocese for years. He states that Rev. Edwin Drury of Pewee Valley built three mission churches, one of which was St. John Chrysostom, and most likely it was opened for services in 1890 since it is listed in the Catholic Directory for the first time in 1891.
For a number of years, St. John's used a home for religious education classes, meetings, and social events. In 1988 a Parish Hall was built and was dedicated by Archbishop Thomas Kelly on November 27, 1988. Now all of our various Parish activities are held in our hall.
We want to take this opportunity to thank all of our present parishioners as well as all previous Pastors and parishioners for all their efforts in building the Catholic Community of faith in Henry County.